Saturday, September 19, 2009

Matchy Matchy

Most of my posts are about things I currently am up to my elbows in.  Today though, I wanted to show you a game I made for my little girl last Christmas.  Maybe it’s because I’ve started to put this years Christmas project list together…but I started thinking about this little wonder and wanted to share it with you.  (By the way…I don’t like the big boxes to have Christmas ready this early…but the studio needs to be cranking out projects pretty early if Momma is going to stay sane!!!) 

We love to play games around here.  There are so many wonderful games that teach important skills while still being full of silly fun.  As you might recall from here…we especially enjoy HABA games.  Around last fall we started playing memory quite often with a little cousin.  I think it was around the hundredth game that I thought of making this:

wooden matching game handmade

I cut lattice board to length and attached scrapbooking paper with mod-podge.  Then gave it two good coats of child safe varnish knowing that my little man would definitely put a few of the pieces in his mouth over time! 

handmade wooden matching game

I sewed a simple drawstring bag to house the game.  I made french seams and top stitched everything…which are fun details, and also help to improve quality.  After-all…the main user of this bag is only 3!!!

handmade wooden matching gamehandmade wooden matching game As you can see…even though the patterns of the paper match, the matching squares are not identical.  I think this adds another important dimension to the game, by requiring the player to match color schemes, and predict the continuation of  a pattern.

Regardless of any scientific or developmental benefit (which are very important…and we don’t belittle) we love the game because “momma made it!”, and play it a lot just because its fun!!  Oh…and extra “points” are always awarded to whoever discovers the matching flower squares.  I wonder which squares my little boy will deem most important!!

13 comments:

Inoureyes said...

Such a sweet game made by "momma". I love the fabrics

Ashley said...

What a wonderful idea, one of my little ones and I were playing a match up game just last night. My favorite thing to hear my little ones say besides I love you is " mama made that" I too want to give my littles a handmade childhood. I love your blog, and am so happy I found it. Have a great weekend. p.s. the doll house is darling!!! www.pocketfullsofsunshine.blogspot.com

elizabeth ~ so wabi sabi said...

What a great idea. This would be the perfect gift for my son this Christmas.

Lily Boot said...

that's lovely! I made a version for my husband for father's day (a couple of weeks ago) and used family photos - we all love playing it and make up stories about the photos as we go! Your images are beautiful.

Heather said...

Wow, what an amazing idea. That is so special, and so creative. I just adore it.

kyndale said...

very cool!!

Tonya Gunn said...

What a great idea. I love the vibrant colors. You could use fabrics as well.
We make a matching set with branch pieces and stamps/stamp pads.
Our young daughter loves to play!

Bernadette said...

What a beautiful game! Totally inspirational...I think I might try something similar with fabric scraps.

quirky granola girl said...

i LOVE this game! I can't wait to make one for my little one. He'll enjoy chewing on the pieces for now, and then playing the game in a couple of years. Thanks for the great idea!!

Kristen said...

This is so beautiful. I love it. I'm going to ask my dad to cut me some pieces of wood. In fact I'm going to email him this link right now!

Caddie said...

You are so 'absolutely' talented. That is wonderful. I am going to enjoy reading your whole blog. The children are angels too.

Mina said...

Hi, I loved this idea, thank you, I also loved your blog , congratulations!!!

MuddyMuse said...

My oldest is seven and still loves to play matching tiles. I would love to make her a set with fairy pictures on them and a beautiful pouch to put them in. What a great idea. Thanks for the link to the child safe varnish as well: we have a 19 month old who chews on everything like a brand new puppy.

Post a Comment

Comments really mean a lot to me and I love to read each and every one. If you have a specific question about anything please feel free to email me and I will reply personally.