Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Dance Bag

September 117In truth we probably had a bag in the house that would have suited the purpose just fine.  But it is oh-so-much-fun to create a new mama-made bag for the beginning of something so exciting.  So a new dance bag was made.  I hadn’t realized how long it had been since I had been sewing.  I also didn’t realize how much I had missed it.  I didn’t have a pattern.  Just a stack of very carefully chosen fabric (my oh my does that girl know what she likes!) and an idea.  I knew I wanted a drawstring top and a ruffle.  The rest was just cutting and experimenting, a nip here and a tuck there…keeping things super simple.  There is something very liberating and therapeutic in this sort of sewing.  When all is said and done the bag is a perfect representation of this little dancer of mine…and oh does she love it!  When I was taking pictures of the bag as we were scooting out the door to class I realized just how “her” this outfit is. Soft fleece, pretty flowers, girly colored stripes with a bit of sparkle, and a shimmery pink tutu…oh my yes..this is my girl.   September 118

September 112September 113

This bag was a great little warm-up getting back in the sewing groove.  I have big plans for the coming weeks.  Most of them revolve around the fact that each outfit she chooses “must” include a skirt, dress, or tunic…and that the current growth spurt is leaving the dress supply quite depleted.  But let’s be honest.  Sewing clothes for children is not always the cheapest or easiest solution…but boy is it fun and healthy for this mama!!