Monday, March 1, 2010

W is for…

Don't forget to check out the spring edition of Rhythm of the Home. You'll find a bit of A Handmade Childhood's goodness there! Congratulations Heather and Bernadette on another beautiful issue!!!

When I was very young my mother and I saved the barcodes off of our Gold Medal Flour bags and sent away for an Alphabet cookbook. I felt so special to have my very own cookbook. I was part of a wonderful (and big) group of little ones and shared a lot of things. But this was mine…and was so much fun to use…and it shows…yikes, what a dirty book!!

A few summer ago I happened across a later edition of the same book at a yard sale. I can’t express the delight of my own little chef to have her own cookbook…just like here mama had!!

February 091

One of our favorite (and very regularly used) recipes is:

February 092

(this is my book…look at those pages…can you tell a little one was cooking!!!)

The waffles are light and airy…perfect!!!

I make a few changes…here’s my version:

Wonderful Waffles

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoons sugar

1/4 teaspoons salt

1 cup milk

1/4 cup oil

1 egg

I don’t separate the egg…really just for simplification…usually I’m making these with two hungry babes at my side! I beat them well with a whisk really well and they are still really light and fantastic!!!

Ahhh…little helpers!!!

February 096