Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bella

When I was still quite young (…I know…I’m not that old now) and in college, I fell in love with a very cute boy.  And somehow I knew myself a little bit better.  He is the only boy I have ever loved…but I have had, and continue to have, love affairs with things I can make with my hands.

 Robinson Photos Aug 13 016Each time I discover a new way to make things for my children and fall in love with a new craft I know myself a bit more.

I want to tell you about my newest love. 

When my daughter was born she was the first grand-daughter after 5 boys on one side….and the very first grandchild on the other.  Needless to say she was the recipient of a shameless amount of delightful gifts.  One of these gifts was a handmade “Baba” doll made from a kit from Magic Cabin Dolls, made of the softest minky fleece.  Robinson Photos Sept. 3 006 It was her Bella and she has slept with it every night since she was born…until….it was somehow…tragically…lost in the move.  I think I was as heartbroken as she. 

Well…I have been making her a new Bella…and have high hopes of it being done for her fourth birthday tomorrow. 

And I have completely fallen in love with doll-making.  I made another Waldorf Doll from a Magic Cabin kit for her first christmas, but that was just a minor flirtation…just a fling….this is real!  I am in love!  And I know a little bit more about myself now!  I never knew “Hannah-the-doll-maker”!!!   But I really like her…she’s great!!! 

I’m using the same pattern that the original Bella was made from.Robinson Photos Sept. 3 007 Robinson Photos Sept. 3 008 The instructions are very thorough and though most of the concepts are new it is going *rather* smoothly!!!  It is so marvelous to see a doll with a sweet personality take form in bits of cotton and wool. Robinson Photos Sept. 3 011   Robinson Photos Sept. 3 015I know I am creating a long-lost, and very dear friend for my little girl and that is so fulfilling!!! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That doll is so sweet. Your girl is one very lucky little lady!

http://minivanlife.wordpress.com

Heather said...

Oh that is so sweet! We are trying for another baby, and if we are lucky enough to have a girl, I may just join you in this passion for doll making.

Post a Comment

Comments really mean a lot to me and I love to read each and every one. If you have a specific question about anything please feel free to email me and I will reply personally.