Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pizza and a Movie Night

I love picking up traditions from other families! Not only does it add another wonderful facet to our family life and rhythm, it also reminds us of the family that shared a bit of their life an rhythm with us…and that is very special indeed. My sister’s family enjoys “pizza and a movie night” each Friday together…and it didn’t take long for us to assume that yummy tradition into our own week. We’re big fans! In fact my daughter often measures the week by how many days until “pizza and a movie night”. And each week on “library day” when we choose a (usually non-fiction) movie to check out she has a big discussion with the librarian about the plans for that week’s yummy night!

Part of what I love about this tradition is that it doesn’t center around a holiday as so many of our most beloved traditions do. It is simply something wonderful, memorable, and fun that we love to do together as a family…again and again and again!

I have been excited by the infinite variations of “pizza.” There are so many exciting recipes I would love try. And can I tell you how anxious I am to pick fresh veggies from the garden for our dish! I know, I know…patience!!! But for now we’ve been having a lot of fun trying different toppings and techniques and getting warmed up to stretch my wings and try some funky, and hopefully delicious, stuff! I think we’ll have to ease everyone into the idea of pizza that isn’t the traditional crust – sauce – cheese – toppings!

But for now…here’s our latest “Pizza and a Movie Night” Pizza!

“Peek-a-Boo” Pizza

(aptly named for the way the yummy goodness peeks through the breading!)

This is more like a technique than a recipe and will work with any crust recipe and topping combination. Here is the crust recipe that is my standard. It is very reliable and tasty! (I added a bit of parsley … in case you’re worried about the flecks of who-knows-what in the dough pictured!)

Pizza Crust

1 1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar

2 1/2 cup flour

2 tablespoons oil

*A few notes: in regards to flour, I have used (successfully!) every combination imaginable of bread flour, whole wheat flour, and all purpose flour.

Step 1. Make your dough and separate if needed. The above recipe makes one pizza normally…so makes one “Peek-a-Boo” Pizza.

February 470

Step 2. Roll out your dough into a rectangle. The same size that you would make for a “normal” pizza. I will say that my rectangle is usually a bit more rectangular…and I really wish I could pin that on the little ones helping…but this time it was all me! Poor wonky little thing…it sure was yummy though!

February 471

*Transfer your dough to a greased pizza stone or cookie sheet or cast iron griddle or…! I forgot this step…makes for some tricky improv down the road a step or two!

Step 3. Spread your sauce, cheese, toppings, etc down the middle third (plus a bit) of the dough.

February 472

Step 4. Slice the remaining dough with a pizza roller 1 – 1 1/2 inches apart and at an angle.February 473

Step 5. Pull the strips up and over the pizza filling working alternatively from one side to the other. Overlap in the middle. February 474

Step 6. Bake at 450 degrees for approx. 15 minutes (or until cheese is bubbling out from the slits in the dough)

February 479February 480Enjoy!