Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine Gingerbread Houses

V Day Card 005

We were in the right place at the right time recently and received two Gingerbread house kits from a friend.  Nothing beats a fresh project for to quiet a restless afternoon!  I would say that we had a blast working together on this project…but in fact little hands were quite particular about each detail, and really all that I was used for was structural support!  It was a great project though and it was a lot of fun.  V Day Card 002

We were given royal icing to work with.  I have a gingerbread building trick that I rely on…but knowing that many love to use royal icing I gave it a try.  It really did work great for the decorating…and I’ll admit the icing wasn’t fresh when we used it.  For construction though…I’ll stick with my trick!  The icing works…but it was touch and go at times.  With little ones a sure-fire quick as a wink building technique is a real life saver.  So…the trick?!?!!V Day Card 003

Pour 1/4 – 1/2 cup granulated sugar into a wide shallow dish.   You will be dipping the sides of your house into the dish so make sure they fit! 

105_3962

Melt the sugar slowly on low-med heat.  Keep an eye on it and stir regularly.  It’s a real nasty mess if it burns…! 

When it has melted (keep the heat on low) dip the two sides of the gingerbread that you want to stick together in105_3965…then immediately join together and hold in place.  105_3963They will harden together very quickly….and very permanently!!!  Enjoy!

I like the idea of gingerbread houses finding their way into each of our seasonal celebrations.  I’m already thinking of spring houses!!  Oh…the possibilities!! 

V Day Card 006