Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Schooling in the Kitchen

January 147Naturally much of my day as a Mama is spent in the kitchen planning, preparing, serving, and cleaning up (yuck)  from all that yumminess.  With two littles running along at my feet each day it makes the kitchen a pretty happening place!!!  I don’t take it lightly…having kidling helpers.  For one thing, once it’s taken lightly you likely will have a ridiculously enormous mess on your hands.  (I know…I’ve seen the mess!)  No…it’s serious business including my littles.  The true magic of the kitchen for me is all that there is to learn and gain from simply helping.  Little hands learn to measure carefully, pour steadily, stir with control, all while the incredible changes to ingredients, and so much more.  It really is magical.  And it all happens by simply letting them help.

 January 126

January 131

January 130          

Recently we made absolutely fantastic cupcakes inspired by my friend Brittany’s post

We made some slight changes:

We used this chocolate cake recipe for the cupcakes:

3 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2/3 cup cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoons salt

2 cups water

3/4 cup oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 teaspoons vinegar

Bake at 350 for 25-30’

 

We stuffed them with the buttercream filling Brittany describes and the simply frosted them with chocolate buttercream frosting. 

January 142

January 146

They were divine!!!

January 140