Monday, September 28, 2009

A Smattering of Thoughts

I don’t know if it's allergies, or a serious case of Monday morning…but I can’t seem to organize my thoughts into one concise blog post. So indulge me in a random collection of thoughts!!!

105_2359

First…have you noticed all the gorgeous fall colors!! So inspiring. I wanted to share these with you. I know…yellow and purple are not the normal fall colors but these wildflowers lined every country road I drove over the weekend begging to be photographed.

105_2363

Second…my husband is part of a very large family. A very large family with lots of boys. This has created an abundance of uncles for my little ones. Which we love. The three youngest uncles are very close in age and have been called “the little boys” for their whole lives. They still are actually…which is a bit silly as they are all very much not little anymore. Now all the little ones call them “the uncles”, which is darling!!!, and adds a bit of sweetness to their very cool teenage selves!!! I mentioned in my last post about being in a new place for a bit. My in-laws are in Italy for two weeks (I know…!!!) leaving behind “the uncles”. We have come to be taxi, cook, and gamekeeper!!! 105_2364

Yikes…what an eye opener! I have always been a big believer in food storage but now I have a whole new purpose…we need to start saving food for the scary reality of feeding a teenage boy!!!!

105_2450105_2449

Third…I made delicious (and quite pretty) popovers for Sunday dinner and wanted to share the recipe. They are a great “kid” food…as they are hollow on the inside leaving room for wild imaginings about caves and tunnels and jammy, buttery, cinnamon sugary adventures!!!

Popovers

2 Eggs

1 cup milk

1 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon oil

Mix well in the blender. Let the batter sit for 10’.

Grease muffin tins. (Don’t use papers).

Pour batter into pans filling each spot 1/3 of the way.

Bake at 425 degrees for 20’ the 350 for 15’

Remove from pans immediately. Very best when served warm.

Enjoy!!

Hannah 277

Last…have you seen the signs??? The signs of the season??? The signs that one of the best parts of fall is just around the corner. We have seen lots of signs…signs of … Apple Season. Countless bins full of red, green, and yellow crispness. Juicy bits of fall freshness packed with every picnic lunch. Perfect roundy bits of yummy baked into so many delights. Oh…we love apple season.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Hannah, do you think these would turn out with half wheat flour? Just curious if you've tried it before I ruin them...

Hannah said...

Sara: Yes...half wheat flour should work out just fine!! Enjoy!

Lily Boot said...

They are the coolest apple crates I have ever seen! We don't have them in Australia and when people talk about building bookcases out of apple crates I am always bemused. No longer! The wildflowers are beautiful - you are so blessed to have such beautiful falls, and as for the cooking - hee! hee! hee! I am so glad I have a girl! :-)

Hannah said...

Lily - about the apple crates...these are actually bins which hold about 18 bushels of apples...which would make some serious bookshelves!!!!! Bookcases can be made using bushel bins which look quite similiar but are significantly smaller!!! My dad actually made us a treefort using apple bins (the big ones) once. Nice repurposing!

HomeRiver said...

My kids like food like that. Perfect to send with them to school too. You can see my result at my Swedish blog: http://homeriver.blogg.se/2009/may/muffinspannkaka.html

Post a Comment

Comments really mean a lot to me and I love to read each and every one. If you have a specific question about anything please feel free to email me and I will reply personally.