Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Rhubarb Phenomenom of 2009

rhubarb cut for rhubarb custard pie

It’s been a crazy summer folks…there’s no doubt about it.  The weather around these parts has been anything but normal…rainy rainy rainy and cool instead of hot humid and hazy.  There have been benefits to this oddity.  My sanity has been one of them!  I’m not built for heat…even NY heat and humidity wipes me out.  (My children are the same way.)  And even though some crops have definitely suffered others have flourished. 

Rhubarb is a stalk plant with large leaves that is marvelous in so many early spring recipes.  Oh, did you catch that….yes, rhubarb is an early spring crop.  It’s the first pie crop…the first beautiful growth in the garden…the beginning of summer.  Yet, now as are ushering summer out the door and welcoming glorious fall we are still picking rhubarb!!!! 

The cool weather and extra rain has kept these plants in full production.  Several times we have made our “last-rhubarb-pie-of-the-season”, only to watch new stalks keep growing in their place!!  We’re done wondering now…and just eating and enjoying! 

I thought I’d share with you our (by-far) favorite way to enjoy our rhubarb:

Rhubarb Custard Pie

4 cups rhubarb (cut into 1/2” pieces)

custard - mix and set aside:

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

3 eggs

2 Tablespoons melted butter

Put rhubarb in pie shell.  Pour custard mixture over rhubarb.  Cover with top crust. 

425 degrees for 10’, then 375 degrees for 30-35’

This pie is definitely  best cold.  It also makes a lovely breakfast!!

1 comment:

A-Kap said...

I cannot WAIT to try this!!!! THANK YOU!!!! We have a plethora of rhubarb as well...but we're not really supposed to pick 'em the first year, so I'm just watching them grow outta control.... We will have rhubarb coming out of our ears next summer!!

Post a Comment

Comments really mean a lot to me and I love to read each and every one. If you have a specific question about anything please feel free to email me and I will reply personally.